Past Recipients

Past Winners and Current Students

2019 - SAMANTHA RIOS

Samantha will enroll at the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance this fall. In high school, she has been active in her drama community both inside and outside of school, her school chorus, and her church as a Sunday School teacher. She is the first member of her family to attend college, and she looks forward to studying musical theatre and business.

In Samantha's own words: "I am extremely honored to have been chosen as the scholarship recipient this year. This scholarship is a dream come true: I will now be able to attend the University of Michigan as a Musical Theatre major and be a part of the leaders and the best. I plan to immerse myself in the community, take challenging classes, minor in Performing Arts Management, and live by the motto: arts, knowledge, and truth. I’m immensely grateful to the University of Michigan Alumni Club of Greater Washington, D.C. for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful and thriving community. I cannot wait for what the next four years will bring."

2018 - sarah addo

Sarah is an outstanding student with a passion for computer science, heading the construction team for her school's theater troupe, working as an ambassador for her school, and learning about history. When she arrives in Ann Arbor she looks forward to advocating for women in computer science and volunteering in Detroit and Ann Arbor to teach students about computer science and help foster an interest in technology.

In Sarah's own words, "I am honored to be able to be a part of the leaders and the best while pursuing a computer science degree at a wonderful institution. I plan to regularly travel to Detroit and other cities to volunteer and teach underprivileged kids who have similar backgrounds as me. I also plan to proudly rattle off facts about Michigan as a tour guide and cheer on our amazing teams at games. I am immensely grateful to be the recipient of the UMDC scholarship and to have a connection to the wonderful Michigan Alumni Club of D.C. I cannot wait to be in Ann Arbor and, of course, Go Blue!"

2017 - will Roberts

Will Roberts is a senior from Broadneck High School in Annapolis, Maryland. Will has been on the Honor Roll throughout his entire high school career, while also maintaining a busy schedule with his participation on his school's swim team, and his employment as a Customer Service Representative with the United States Naval Academy's Athletic Association.

In Will's own words, "earning the scholarship reminds me that all the hard work throughout high school has paid off. Every day, I worked to become a better person in the classroom, pool, and community to be able reach my full potential. It is a tremendous honor to receive the scholarship. I am grateful that the Scholarship Committee has seen the potential in me, giving me the feeling that there are more people from the University who will believe in me. I have full faith that through the University of Michigan, I will be able to achieve my goals and give the Michigan Alumni Club of D.C. another person to be proud of. Go Blue!"

2016 - Ankita Sharma

Ankita is a senior at Poolesville High School in Poolesville, Maryland. She has been engaged in activities as varied as her high school's NASA club to its Teen Advisory Group, a council which promotes libraries for young adults. She has been bestowed with many awards, including being named a National Merit Scholar and being nominated for the Presidential Scholars program.

In Ankita's own words, she is "incredibly excited to become a Wolverine in the fall of 2016 as an Aerospace Engineering major. I hope to dedicate myself to service- and STEM-oriented extracurricular activities, including M-FLY, the NicarAGUA chapter of Blue Lab, and the famed Solar Car project, as well as conduct research under UROP mentorship. I am working towards obtaining a co-op with a company which recruits at U of M, such as Boeing or Lockheed Martin, and eventually culminating my education in a Master's graduate program. I will strive to make a difference in the community through all these efforts, while hopefully maintaining satisfactory grades in my major and double-minors in business management and computer science. I am eager to experience a game at the Big House, which are rumored to be electrifying, and perhaps join club tennis if time and temperature permit."

Past Winners:

• 2015 - Alisha Jennings-Olowosuko
  • 2014 - Emma Keegan
  • 2013 - Sagarika Das
  • 2012 - Hana Baker
  • 2011 - Nicholas Tountasakis
  • 2010 - Lisa Gross
  • 2009 - Dan Ackerman
  • 2008 - Holly Shablack
  • 2007 - Nabeel Qadri
  • 2006 - Miles Jackson
  • 2005 - Sonya Cho