Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
The Alumni Association of the University of Michigan respects your privacy and we are committed to protecting it. We intend to provide you with a level of comfort and confidence in how we collect, use, and safeguard personal and other information we collect and obtain, or that you provide through this website, and how you can contact us if you have any questions or concerns. It is our sincere hope that by explaining our data handling practices we will develop a trusting and long-lasting relationship with you.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the member services department. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
- Respect others and the community. All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive language in the community or toward another member is strictly prohibited.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals instead of products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Advertising. We strive to keep the community a place for discussion and conversation, not as a marketing platform. Posts created for the sole purpose of advertising or other commercial purposes will be not be posted to the board.
- Offensive imagery. Questionable imagery of any kind is prohibited, including violent, offensive, explicit and demeaning imagery.
- The “first post” rule: if you break any of the above guidelines in your first post on the site we will temporarily lock your account and inform you of the situation.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "I agree" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
Thank you for being a part of the U-M community experience!
Link to our legal policy on main AAUM Site: